Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A few days in Belgrade

Last Wednesday I went to Belgrade and stayed with my Tetka (Aunt) Ljilja and her son Neša.  Ljilja is my grandmother's sister and it was really nice to spend some time with them.  Neša speaks some English, so with his help and the use of my very limited Serbian we were able to communicate pretty well.  

Neša also took me around Belgrade so I got to see some of the beautiful downtown areas.  Belgrade is beautiful, with lots of tree-lined cobblestone streets and busting pedestrian shopping streets.  I'm looking forward to going back this weekend for an orientation at the U.S. Embassy and some more exploring.

Dozens of cafés line the picturesque streets of Old Belgrade.


Left to right: a pretty building on Kneza Mihaila, a pedestrian thoroughfare.  Statue "The Struggle" in Kalemegdan Park.  The Belgrade Fortress. 


Me at one of the gates to the Belgrade Fortress (left) and enjoying a sunny day on the bank of the Danube (right).

It was great being with family for a few days: enjoying delicious food, some tv, and pleasant company. As I continue to study Serbian, I look forward to being able to better communicate with my Aunt and get to know her and Neša better.  

Enjoying a beer (Jelen!) with Neša on the Danube, a few blocks away from his and Ljilja's apartment.


No comments:

Post a Comment